Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The masked knitter/quilter/baker

Ta da!  Here I am in my first face mask, which fits the large Hubz perfectly, but too big on me.  I also needed to tie the strings tightly.

Our hospital is now asking for cotton face masks, probably for non-medical workers, e.g. custodians, or perhaps for nurses to put over their serious medical masks.  So I'm sewing.

No elastic in my house.  I did find an old queen-size flannel sheet, which I'm now using as the part of the mask which is against the face.  I also ordered 3 yards of flannel from eQuilter.com.  I should get that in a couple of days.

I am not particularly quick at this.  One mask, including cutting, pressing, top-stitching the ties, and the rest of the assembly takes me about 1/2 hour.  The Hubz, bless his sweet self, is doing the tie pressing, which makes a difference. 

The important thing about these masks is that they will NOT keep you safe from the virus.  But, wearing them over a real mask should help in this time of mask shortage.  If you wear one, place a tissue next to your face under the mask, and that will help a teeny bit.  I would also wear a doubled bandana over the mask.  So, yes I know that these are not a substitute.  BUT, when your hospital wants them, you make them.

We are to put them into a bin in front of the hospital entrance.  They will pick up the masks, sterilize them and give them to anyone who wants them.  Clearly there is a need for them.

I suspect that if you wear one to the market. people will stay away from you, which is not bad.

Stay safe, my friends.  Don't go out, chat with friends and family on the phone, eat good food, and get dressed in the morning.  Forget jammies all day.  Watch funny TV, don't watch or listen to the news nonstop.  Give yourself a break.  Tell your significant other, if you have one, when you're stressed or cranky.  And listen to others when they tell you the same.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I agree about don't wear the jammies all day - I think that would lead to depression to sit around watching tv all day in your pj's - get dressed and take a walk if you can, even if it is around the back yard - lucky here in the country I just came inside from weeding a flower bed and planting seeds in pots - I try to do that every day - the tv is rarely on except for when our governor gives his daily update - hubby tunes in to Trump also - but I despise the man and don't listen much to him.
all medical facilities are asking for the fabric masks saying they will be better than nothing and that is how bad it has gotten already until more masks arrive. I am making them for my two of my sisters and get them in the mail at the end of the week I am not fast making them either I think I have 20 done

Linda W said...

Glad to see your post. I saw the video about the man in Morristown holding up the sign saying thank you for saving his wife's life. I thought, that sounds like something Shel might do, so had to check on you.

Stay safe, my friend, and I agree about the jammies and tv. Also, put your shoes on. I was wearing my slippers because they're so nice and warm and realized I wasn't going outside. Now, back to weaving and baking bread. We're both going to be huge the way I'm cooking and baking.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails