Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Welcome, Sophie!

We are happy to announce a new member of our family:  Sophie the Sewing Machine.

She was picked up Saturday morning in Kingston, NY at Style Fabrics about 11:30 (and some good lesson time) and arrived at our house at 3-ish.

She is a Pfaff 4.2, with a bunch of bells and whistles, including needle-down!

We set her up, and then I promptly forgot all the instructions on winding the bobbin, installing the bobbin, and threading the needle.  But a quick phone call to the store gave me all the info.  So now I can do all those necessary things, plus change the needle because, ahem, I managed to damage it. 

Now she is up and running and busy assembling some sort of half-log cabin block.  

She does the prettiest decorative stitches.  I can see why people buy embroidery machines, and I'm a hand stitcher from way back when.  I played around with all of them, and I have to get some stabilizer so that my fabric won't pucker.  I'm thinking of incorporating these stitches in my quilting.  Yep, Real quilters wouldn't do this, but I'm not a Real quilter, so I can do what I want.

Why the name Sophie?  Because she sews, silly.  Other than my car, I've never named an inanimate object before, but clearly she is Sophie.

BTW, if you are in the Hudson Valley (we are in northern NJ) and are looking for a great sewing machine store, I recommend Style Fabrics.  They sell and service Pfaffs. They are very knowledgeable, friendly, and they don't blanch when I ask dopey questions.  A lovely selection of fabrics and books and of course lots of Pfaffs.

3 comments:

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

Congrats on your Sophie-sticated new family member. BTW: Is the car named Drivie?

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

What fun lies ahead. I love using decorative stitches for quilting I always think it's such a shame that our machines can do all these stitches and most people only use two. My machines are called Ellen and Buss after my two grandmothers and I know Sophie is in very good non-Real quilting hands with you - Chris :D

Sarah said...

Congrats on the new family member! She looks like she will make some lovely stitches. I find I use some of mine often and the others are just so small that I don't use them. Can't wait to see what you do with yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails