Monday, February 16, 2015

Design Hubz Monday

Some people have a design floor; others have a design wall.  I have a Design Hubz.  The man has a wide wingspan and so functions as a quilt holder. Yay, Design Hubz!


The actual color is more toward the bottom pic.

I'm doing this as a quilt-as-you-go quilt. I have some good moments with this method, but also some bad ones.

First of all, it is very pleasant to make my wonky log cabins right on the batting itself.  I sew and quilt seamlessly.  That's the best part. It's also pleasant to sew the blocks together.
What I did not like was sewing the rows together.  It's stiff, awkward, and bulky.  Ordinarily, when I sew my blocks together, I press the seam to the sides and then can easily butt them up against each other for nice points.  Not with this bulky thing.  I pressed the seams open and graded the ends of each seam.  But I broke more pins attempting to pin those seams together when making each row.  Plus grading the seam added to the general bulkiness under the needle. I really didn't enjoy the process at all.

And here's the kicker: I now have to attach the backing to the piece, which means getting the entire mess back under the needle and fighting with it.  

However, I am not a "quilter", not as defined by any quilt police out there.  I'm getting confident enough to do my own thing. So, instead of quilting the mess by ditching it, I'm going to tie the layers together.  That seems to be a reasonable solution to this problem.  I've tied 2 quilts and I have to say that they look just fine.  If you like fancy quilting and such, well then you wouldn't like them.  But pretty embroidery floss that matches the quilt colors looks charming and not obtrusive and really lets the colorwork and patchwork shine.




1 comment:

Kaja said...

I love your wonky blocks and old fashioned colours Tried QAYG and couldn't get on with it, but don't see any reason why tying yours isn't a perfectly good solution. Go for it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails