Thursday, March 31, 2011

Where are they now? Day 4 2KCBWDAY4

Ah, reflecting on old knits!  This one is a tough one.  Where did they go?  Considering that I learned to knit 50 years ago, I have made more garments than I can remember.   Who even has pics of stuff I knit ages ago?

Miss P, who is 8 1/2 years old, got most of the baby knits.  The second I heard that her mom was pregnant, I went into knitting overdrive.  I started with teensy knits and worked up to knits for 2 year olds.  Do I have any pics?  Yeah, right.  Who even blogged 8 years ago?  Alex, who is almost 11, got lots of hand-knits, too.  Do I have any pics?  Nope.  After those two, I was done with little kid knits, so the poor deprived other 3 grands got a Baby Surprise Jacket at birth and that was it.  Now, of course, I'd love to knit little baby things, but no babies in sight.  We may be done.  On the other hand, we do have 2 year old Little Lili.  But I want to do baby gear, not toddler gear.

I will tell you the story of my first knit, done when I was a senior in high school.  It was a vest, knitted side to side and all done in garter stitch.  Back and front the same.  You did a section for one side, the middle and the other side.  So I used 2 colors of some worsted wt yarn.  I remember that it took me forever.  My grandma told me that at the rate I was going, I'd be her age by the time I finished (and she was in her late 80's).  But I did finish it, and wore it too.  Pics?  You have got to be kidding.

So that's my story, no pics, only words.  Snore.

Scrabblequeen and Kepanie - I remember it because my grandmother was convinced that I would never finish it.  But I did!

scrapperjen - I agree totally.

3 comments:

Scrabblequeen said...

Wow. I'm impressed you can remember your first knit! I know that I only knew garter stitch and stockinette back then...but I don't think I actually finished a thing...until I started knitting again back in '05 or '06.

Stefanie said...

It's great that you remember that vest and how it was constructed. Good for you on your tenacity.

Jen Mc said...

GREAT stories! It's always nice to have a reason to knit. But in reality, who NEEDS a reason?! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails