Friday, January 24, 2014

What's off my needles Friday

Remember this?





It's now this.





Here she is: My Eriskay gansey inspired lace sweater.









Good news:  It fits perfectly.  The sleeves are the cuff's worth too long, but I never frog at this point, so I tucked the ribbing under the lace part, and it will keep the cold out.  It's a tunic length, but since it's sized for me, it doesn't overwhelm my small body.  I don't feel like I'm wearing someone else's sweater.

I love the yarn.  Easy to work with, blocks beautifully.  Bought more, 'cause this is my sport yarn!

The cons:  I used a size 5 needle, and really should have gone with a 4.  I'm a loose knitter, and like sweaters to be a tad more compact.  Even though it fits very well, given that it's all lace, I should have used those 4 needles.  I'm still very pleased with it, but as a winter sweater, even with all that lace,  it would be warmer had I gone down a needle size.

There are 5 lace patterns used.  The bottom one, the little divider one between the bottom and the bodice, 2 different laces on the bodice, and a different lace on the sleeves.  I love, love, love knitting sweaters like this.  By the time I'm bored with the pattern, I switch to something else. 

Size?  I'm a size 6 top and bottom, except in chubby days, when I'm a size 8 bottom.  I used a circumference of 36" for the body, and I shaped the sides.  I'm not sure whether I'll do that again.  I don't know if it made any difference.  Still, maybe in the future. 

I made the armholes 8.5", but prefer them at 8",  Yes, that half inch makes a difference; the armhole would be 1 inch shorter had I done 8".  So, they are a bit loose compared to the fit of the body.  On the other hand, I can easily wear long sleeves under it, but there would have been enough ease with 8".  Next time.

I'd give it a B+ - A- rating.  Love the color and the yarn,  The fit is great, even in those too wide sleeves, but it's a bit too sloppy in gauge. 

Would I do another lace sweater like this?  You betcha!  The easiest knitting, the most fun, not hard on my wrists, comfy feel.  Yep. 

What's the real color?  Gah!  My camera doesn't want to see this as a lavender, so I get too many blue tones or pink tones.  The real color is somewhere between the 5th pic and the bottom pic.  You go figure it out.  I have to cast on for another one.

7 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

OMG, your sweater is GORGEOUS! And the fit is perfect on you. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow!!! How gorgeous is that??? Super wonderful finish!!!

CJ said...

Oh wow, your sweater is gorgeous! I love the lacy effect!

Dora, the Quilter said...

I love it!!!!
I want to experience Guernsey knitting, so I have a sock pattern picked out for my next start and would love to do a cardigan.
Beautiful!

krayolakris said...

It's beautiful!

Ramona said...

Your sweater is just beautiful! What a wonderful finish. Lovely!

Linda W said...

This is one gorgeous sweater. Love your comments on the fit and gauge. Are we ever satisfied? Probably not. But there's always the next.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails