Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Little "o" on a graph.

 Sigh.


I like to graph out my designs first on graph paper with my favorite pencil, Papermate Sharpwriter (those nice yellow ones with the points that you move up).  And then I knit from the charts, and if all is well, then I go to the computer. 

So, for the last three months, I've been slowly working on this pretty lace shawlette.  I did the pattern just by playing around, no stitch dictionary used.  Good.  It's not an easy pattern because it doesn't have repeating rows, or at least the repeat is many rows long.  So, I have to pay attention.  That's fine with me.  I'm not crazy enough to put complex stuff on the wrong side, and indeed this one has a wrong side resting row.  But still, I have to pay attention.

The last time I worked on it, maybe 2-3 weeks ago, I discovered a mistake, so carefully tinked it a few rows.  Then I worked back to where I had been.  Today, I picked it up, found where I had left off, and proceeded to work the following:  k2, yo, k14, k2tog.......  The pattern is centered and at the end of the section I should also have that k14, only instead the chart says k13.  Now I did this chart.  I can look at it and know that no way did I have an extra stitch on the right hand side of the chart.  Nope, nada, not!  But when I count it, there is that k14 and the k13 at the other side of the section.  So of course, I tinked, knit back, tinked again, knit, tinked back.  I'm thinking that my brain has ceased to function.  I took a ruler and lined up those increased on both sides of the section.  Everything is fine.  So why an extra stitch or one less stitch?

Ah ha!  Seems that I drew that little yo not very well; I didn't fill up that little box, and of course, I saw a bit of space and counted it and came to the number 14.  No, no, no!  It's actually 13 k stitches, and now I'm done tinking, at least until the next time I goof.  Fixed that little "o", and all is happy!

Henya - It's a very bad little o, and it's going on the  bad behavior chair right now.

1 comment:

Henya said...

Been there, done that. Than done it again. Take heart, and put the "O"in time out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails