Monday, April 8, 2013

Design Floor Monday - Shirt Strings


Shirt quilt so far.  I figure 7-8 rows of 6 blocks, plus a border, binding.  All made out of shirts that I found at thrift shops or garage sales.  This is for the Hubz, and he is so totally into it that he now scouts out shirts for me.  The rules for this particular quilt are:  all-cotton if possible, although there are some cotton/poly blends in here; colors are blues and white and/or a bit of green.  In my fair isle knitting years, I always had a sparkle color someplace to add a bit of zip to the pattern, and now in my quilting years, the same thing holds true.  So, the green adds the zip.  Well, at least I think so.

Here's what a block looks like before trimming. 




And here it is after trimming.




Cool, huh?  I could do this all day long.  I see many more string quilts in my future.  I love the process, plus it doesn't matter much if my seams are wonky.  Yay, wonky seams.

I've spent maybe $10 - 15 on these shirts so far, and I have so much material that I can easily make 3 more of these quilts.  Now I want to use "real" fabric for the next one, and play around with sewing blocks together and then cutting to make different blocks.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

I love the bits of green in your string blocks, it is a great touch.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I also visit the thrift shop, the purple cow. I made Bonnie hunters Bargello fault and the sirts seem to keep multiplying!! Your string blocks look like a good project for theses silly bags I still have, I wish the $12.00 a yard fabric multiplied lie those shirts do!!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Quilt, Bonnie hunters quilt. Don't you love spell suggest on these little devices???

Angie said...

Loving your shirt string blocks! I like the soft blended look you have created.

Judy D in AZ said...

Ruth, your shirt strip blocks are awesome. I have a box of shirt parts just sitting there waiting for an idea like this one. Thanks for sharing.

Podunk Pretties said...

You gave me an idea for a quilt I've been working on for a friend that uses mens shirts. Love your blocks!

Rhonda said...

This is totally cool. Love all the blues and a zap of green. No wonder hubby likes it!!

ratama said...

So cool! I love the blue-tones

Sarah said...

As much as I don't care for making string blocks - I do like the look ofyour quilt! Hubby is a lucky dude :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails