Monday, November 24, 2008

ThemYarnarian Blathers On Again!

The Yarnarian wants to schmooze today about all sorts of divergent stuff. Just 'cause she feels like it. Schmooze: To converse casually

Thanksgiving - What are my plans this week? I have to get ready for my favorite holiday of the year, Thanksgiving. I love this holiday because there are no commercial or religious demands on us, no presents, no church/synagogue/mosque/temple/etc/etc services that are required. Nothing in fact that divides us. The only issues on Thanksgiving are the menu and the football games. In my house, we don't do football games. Nobody is really interested, and that's fine with me.

And the menu? Lots of the traditional stuff but always with variations. So this year's green beans will be made with mushrooms and sauteed onions, instead of last year's tomatoes. There's always a sweet potato mess, but a different one each year. This year, I'm doing maple syrup with it, or if I can't find the maple syrup, brown sugar. That's good too.

And for dessert, I've gotten ambitious and am making 3 different kinds of cookies.

So the usual hummus and veggies and crackers for appetizers. Turkey, stuffing, sweet potato mess, green bean mess, Judy's home-made cranberries, Hungarian cucumber salad, and then dessert.

Here's the thing about Thanksgiving: in the past when I had big crowds, I always had to deal with many allergies and diets. The worst year was the one when I had the following allergies: onions, nuts, soy, corn, honey, apples, peaches, apricots; and the following diets: low salt, low cholesterol, vegetarian. So having 6 people with only a few allergies is right up my alley. ;-)

What's on the needles? - A couple of scarves, the American Girl doll sweater, a sweater for moi, and assorted goodies that I've not photographed.





The sweater is from Just One More Row, and looks rather loud to me, but in the depths of winter or early spring, it'll be bright and cheery. It's in Baby Cashmerino, and I like working on this yarn.

The first scarf is an old Shetland lace pattern, Crest o' the Waves, in my hand-dyed Bambi yarn. It's very soft and cuddly and has wonderful drape.

The second scarf is from the new book by Elise Duvekot, the inside/outside scarf. I'm using Noro Silk Garden and cursing the twisty yarn. The scarf will look much better after a wash! Yeah, it looks pretty ugly in the picture, but is not that disgusting. It just needs a bath and a blocking.

And one more picture! Dianne of Creative Dyed sent me a skein of her Beaches Yarn, and the name of this colorway is "Ruth"! How neat is that! A scarf, I think. I'm not wasting this goody on my feet; I want people to see it!



I would love to show you all the beautiful yarns from my dyer friends, but that kind of works against my vast enterprise. giggle! I love their yarns and everyone has a different technique. Go look on Etsy. You can use hand dyed, sock yarn, hand painted as search terms. You will be amazed at the variety of yarns. If you gave 5 of us the same 3 colors, you would get 5 totally different skeins. Such fun! And not terribly expensive either.

More schmoozing next time!

Carolyn - Wouldn't that be fun? You and the husband would join us, and then you and Judy and I and Rachel and the Mommie would all talk about fiber and the guys would get this glazed look on their faces!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

How cool to have a yarn named for you!!
Dinner sounds great. What time shall I come? LOL!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails