Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Yarnarian is in Project Heaven!



I do love starting new projects. Finishing? Eh. Yes, it's nice to have the completed object, but the fun is in the planning and starting. So a really fun sock is in the works. This is being knitted from the first long skeins I played with. I never put it up for sale because of that bit of white that kept peeking through, but it's nice enough for knitting. So here it is:



The pattern is loads of fun to do, and not terribly difficult once you figure out where to place your needle.

Remember the multi-colored triangle scarf that I kept posting and frogging? It's baaaack, with a much nicer neck edge. That last neck edge was awful. I kept seeing it and it offended me mightily. The Hubbo never saw what was wrong with it, but then he's the Hubbo and not a knitter.

So, I frogged for the umpteenth time, and am now happy. Yes, I know it looks as if it could use a good blocking. It can use a good blocking, and that will make all those nice woolly stitches line up and look good. It always does. Happiness is wool. So, I changed the edging yet again, and I really, really like it. It's going to make its way onto a sock or something else. It's a weirdly worked zigzag, not done in the usual fashion, and I quite like it. Look for it, because it's going into my pattern collection.




I'm into serious zigzagging these days. It seems that every new project that I start has a zig and a zag.

But here's what I'm really excited about! The crochet blankie, the one with the hexagons. I'm have the time of my life playing with this. So, of course, I'm now thinking of the next one. It's a very nice change from knitting, different arm and hand motions, and I've always liked doing Grannie pieces. As you can see, I have a long way to go, but I'm not in a hurry. I'm doing it in a skinny DK, more of a sport weight, but crochet is much heavier than knitting, so it feels like a worsted wt. object. Such fun! Clearly I'll have to do different grannies for the American Girl dolls in the family. And a winter, spring, summer, and fall grannie or two or three or four. Ach, I'm getting grandiose here. OK, I'll finish this one first.



Off to work some more on it. If you've never crocheted, go learn how; it's tons of fun, and lace crochet is amazing, quite different from knit lace.

Polzic - Thank you. I like your legos, too.

CathyR - The yarn really does stripe. I knew it would, but it's one thing to know it and another to actually knit it. The poor scarf, it's been frogged so many times. I'm knitting it in Bambi, and it's holding up. It's getting a tiny bit fuzzy, but so would any yarn frogged 5 times. Too bad on the crochet for you. I can only do it in little time spans because it is hard on my hands too.

itsJUSTme-wendy - That's a great idea. I'm thinking of making some blankies for the various dolls our granddaughters own.

Linda - Actually crochet hurts me lots more than knitting. Don't know why either. Also, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to decrease within a pattern.

Henya - So now I'm about 1/4 way through with the blankie, and I'm already planning the next one.

4 comments:

CathyR said...

I like the way the socks are striping. Very nice. The shawl is going to be beautiful when it is finished.

I had to give up crocheting when I got arthritis in my wrists, but I used to love to do grannies. Your blanket is really pretty.

Wall-to-wall books said...

Grannie Hex. blanket is cute! I crochet as well as knit. I switch back and forth. I do daycare and last year I used up alot of my "odds and ends" yarn and crocheted blankets for the kids to play with.

Henya said...

These blankets are truly addicting. Beware.
I love your new sock-in-progress, it look really nice.
For me too planing and starting is loads more fun than finishing. That is why there are so many UFOs in my house.

Linda said...

Ah ha you caught the crochet bug. I knew you could do it what a good big sister you are. Next it's vests, sweaters, dresses, hats. I could go on and on. And don't even try the knitting bug on me cause you know it will never work, now my darling daughter perhaps.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails