Monday, January 14, 2008

The brain in my head goes round and round!

I have vertigo. As in, the brain in my head goes round and round! The room doesn't spin, inside my head does. Plus the gut is not happy. This is not a rant; this is a qvetch, a whine, a complain. On the positive side, I don't have to go to work. Oh frabjous day, calloo callay, I chortle in my joy! From Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky.

In the olden days of yore, when I felt like this, not sick enough to stay in bed, but certainly not well enough to go to work, I'd have to go to work anyway. You know, coverage, meetings, schedules and all that stuff. So since I've retired, I've felt quite healthy, and I forgot about the yuchiness factor. Well, today and yesterday, I've been under the weather, whatever that means. How can you be under the weather? Under the covers, ok, but the weather? In my reference librarian mode, I'd look up that phrase, but I'm feeling poorly, so I don't have to do it. This is a reverse qvetch: I'm finding the positives of the other side of grousing. Oh, Piffle to it all. It's mighty boring. There was a point to this paragraph, but darned if I remember what it was.

On the good news department. The computer is ready!!!!! My sweet Hubbo will pick it up tonight. As soon as everything is installed, I'm going to load up my new Knit Visualizer program.

I wanted to dye up some yarn today. If I feel more human, I'll try in the afternoon. I'm thinking of the following combinations:

1. teal, pink, blue and green.
2. yet another stab at recreating Rainbow Brown. Uh huh. Maybe.
3. green, white, brown
4. something with a dark lilac, because I have a new dye that I want to play with.
5. all of the above, none of the above.

Sock Club news: I have #2 of the socks almost finished. This one is a humdinger (do you hum while you ding?). Very easy in graph form. And then you start to knit it. You have to pay attention because the visual clues are not apparent. But whadda pattern! So, all of your non-clubbers get to say: "When do we get to see a pic?" Sometime after the second pkg has been mailed out. I have to tell you that this is a seriously lovely and irritating pattern. I finally had to resort to the scratch mark method because I couldn't tell where I was in the rows. But, wow, is it worth it.

Update: Do you think that my brain has gone south for a bit? I finished the above sock, cast on for the second one, worked about 1 inch when I discovered that somehow I had twisted it. OK, this hasn't happened in a gazillion years, but ok. Cast on again, counted my stitches, joined my stitches, worked the first round only to discover that I had cast on 2 few stitches. Did the same thing again only to discover that this time I had cast on 2 too many. Sigh. OK, it's time to put the needles down and do something else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, that's the tradeoff we have to make. We get old enough to retire which means we don't have to go work when we aren't feeling great. But our brains go south. There are other tradeoffs, but I don't have to spell them out, do I? We all know. Do feel better soon, Ruth. My daughter gets vertigo...very disturbing for her.

Bev said...

Ruth can't wait to see your pattern I'm so very glad that I signed up for the club.

Jen said...

Can't wait to see all the new yarns dyed up!

Hope your sock is going better. :)

Carolyn said...

I am sorry to hear you have been under the weather and hope you are feeling better today.

Congrats on getting the computer back. That Knit Visualizer program looks awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails